Thursday, March 29, 2012

Using Utensils

I had bought Brylie some plastic utensils a while ago so she could start practicing using them. At the time I thought they would be perfect for her. She was showing interest, but she would give up after a couple tries. I noticed they were a little bulky and made it difficult to actually pick up food. Last night we went out for dinner and since I didn't have her baby utensils with me I let her use a "grown up" fork. To my surprise she did great! She used her fork the whole time and any time I tried to help her she would say "No!" She is little miss independent. So of course I had to test my theory that in fact it was the plastic fork that was limiting her abilities, not her own stubborn-ness. So, for lunch today I cooked her some carrots and gave her a normal fork. Once again she did great! I'm so glad she is getting the hang of it!



When did your kids get the hang of using utensils? Did you use "baby" ones like I tried, or skip straight to the grown up stuff?

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! she is so smart and amazing! I tried using baby utensils and my mom actually did recommend using metal ones over plastic ones so i had the best of both wolds. the baby utesils has a padded rubber grip but metal fork and spoon part that introduced "silverware" right away. So James my son (now almost three) started out using them as soon as he could eat solid food so graduating to adult utensils was no biggy. I highly recommend metal baby eating utensils or just go for it with the adult silver wear.

    -Kaitey

    ReplyDelete